House fires can happen very fast and sometimes they can be deadly disasters. There are many precautions you can do to avoid a kitchen fire:
1) Install a smoke detector close to the kitchen to sense a fire, but not close enough that it will trigger every time you cook something a bit smoky or steamed.
2) Keep metal out of microwave. Be aware of dishes or mugs with a silver or golden border.
3) Keep dish towels away from stove to avoid catching on fire.
4) Clean your oven from any dirt or spills before cooking to avoid grease build-up.
5) Don’t overfill pots or pans with oil or grease.
6) Never leaving cooking unattended. Set an alarm to remind you to check periodically.
7) Keep oven, stove, toaster and microwave clean and in good repair. Sometimes grease or crumbs can start a fire.
8) Always check your oven before turning on. You might have stored objects inside that you forgot about.
9) Always keep a functioning small fire extinguisher handy in case there is a small fire. Never use water to put out a grease fire. Try to smother it with a lid or use baking soda until it vanquishes.
If the fire gets out of control, call 911 and leave the house immediately. Make sure your pets, children and other family members have left the house safely. After a fire you should contact your homeowner’s insurance company right away to start the claim process and restoration of your home. Most homeowner policies will cover loss of use which allows you to get reimbursed for living expenses if your home is inhabitable.
We suggest that you review your current homeowner policy to make sure you have replacement coverage on your dwelling and personal property. This coverage will allow you to replace your lost property after a fire.