Hurricane season is here and before a storm heads our way, following are a few tips to be prepared for the storm.
Having hurricane supplies on hand prior to hurricane season helps avoid dealing with long lines and stores running out of supplies. It is especially important with Covid-19 restrictions in place.
- Prepare a hurricane kit to include a portable radio, batteries, first aid supplies, medications, flashlights, non perishable food and bottled water.
- Monitor the storm
- Cover windows, bring in patio furniture or any objects that can be blown around
- Clean and sanitize bathtubs and fill with water
- Make sure your car has a full tank of gas
- Set refrigerator to coldest setting in case of power failure
- Collect important information such as insurance policy with policy number and phone number in case a claim is to be reported
- Have extra supply of cash on hand
- Take a video or photos of your personal property to document belongings prior to any damage
- Disconnect propane tanks and small appliances
- Make certain your pets are in a safe area
- If you are not evacuating, lock all doors and windows
- Move to a small interior room such as a closet or bathroom during the storm
- Notify friends/relatives of where you will be during the storm
- Stay clear of all windows, glass doors and skylights